Monday, March 25, 2013

Stone carver


Abraham Mohler came to Midwestern State this past week as a visiting artist for the sculpture department. He is a stone carver and demonstrated his techniques through out the week.

Lucky for me, I had the privilege of getting to see him before having to leave for the NCECA conference in Houston. We left later than expected so I spent the extra few hours watching him work. I was able to get my hands dirty as well and helped him carve on his limestone piece he will try to have finished before he leaves MSU. It was really a fun medium to work in and really enjoyed the idea of carving into a solid piece.

This process was very similar to how I am building my own work right now in ceramics. I am building solid pieces of clay and then carving into them to get my basic shape. When I have that figure sketched out I then hollow out my form. I learned some really good ways of looking at a solid piece and hopefully I can take some of what I learned back to my own work.

 I will try to get a picture of what the piece looks like when it is done. It will be a standing up version of the thinker.








No comments:

Post a Comment