Monday, October 14, 2013

Visiting Artist: Linda Swanson

Last week, we were lucky enough to have Linda Swanson visit our ceramics studio. She is a ceramic artist who focuses on the raw materials used in ceramics and how they change and react to each other over time.  
Our ceramics class was lucky enough to work with her during her week stay at Midwestern State University.  She preformed a demonstration for us about transferring images to the clay body through a couple different methods including how to screen print on clay. This method fascinated me the most because I have been working in screen printing some over the past month. It was exciting to be able to use those same techniques in ceramics as well. The night before the class I had emulsified a screen and exposed one of my images. It was the perfect opportunity to try to transfer that image onto clay. It turned out pretty well and this technique is one I am excited to explore after I graduate. 

She also set up an installation piece while she was here. We were given the opportunity to help her construct the wall piece and even add our own touches to the work. It was so much fun working with Linda on this piece. It is so different from my own work and I enjoyed the freedom we had to create whatever we wanted.  Somehow all of our ideas meshed well and the piece looks great. We are now in the process of cutting the piece down and preparing it to be wood fired later on this fall. It will be exciting to see how it turns out.

Linda is such a free spirit and her way of looking at ceramics is so fascinating. It was great to work with her while she was here and I am sad to see her leave. If you would like to see Linda's work when she is not teaching, here is a link to her work (click here). I am very grateful to our professor Steve Hilton for providing us with so many opportunities to meet, learn from and work with so many artists. I learn so much from every person who walks through the studio doors, and am grateful for him for providing us with these learning opportunities.
My first attempt at screen printing on bisque ware.
Working on the installation piece.
Linda Swanson throwing some texture onto the piece
The installation piece we worked on with artist Linda Swanson.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment