Thursday, August 23, 2012

The School Year Approaches

The fall semester is right around the corner (literally, it begins on Monday). And my mind is buzzing with ideas for the up coming year. While I won't be taking that many classes, each class will absorb every ounce of time and dedication that I have. 

"Why?" You say. I am glad that you asked! As you may or may not know I am graduating in three semesters, which means that my senior show preparation must begin! As a BFA (Bachelors in Fine Arts) major, I am required to prepare for and have a show my last semester. This means that I have to start preparing my pieces that will be in my show (scary, huh?!). My show has to have a theme and I am happy to announce that my theme will be, Voices in My Head. Let me explain...

This summer, I had the opportunity and privilege to intern at the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts. I worked very closely with children of all ages and they inspired me. The ideas and imagination of a child's mind has always fascinated me. Their minds are endless and full of questions and wonder. I guess I connect to them because I have been able to keep my child like imagination through out my life. I called it my own little world. 

I imagine a different world going on around us and existing secretly with the rest of reality. For the longest time, I had the assumption that I was the only one who lived half of my life within my own mind. I believed this because everyone has always been fascinated by the things that I imagine around me. "Teresa," they would say "I would love to get in your head and see what goes on in there!"

I told one of my friends while in church one day that it would be interesting to see what would happen if monkeys were released in the cathedral while mass was going on. I know, great thing to be thinking when I was suppose to be paying attention to worship! She thought I was crazy (as she giggled to herself) when I told her how the monkeys would love to swing on the chandlers hanging about the church. At the very least it would wake up the people just going through the motions or are dozing off in the back row. 

I have always shared my inner world with the people around me, yet no one has ever mentioned the world going on within their mind. Granted, I have a very unusual flow of thoughts, but I was unaware that other people also lived within their own minds. They just never talk about it. This is the world that you use to create ideas; as crazy as monkeys swinging from chandlers to as simple as coming up with a way to decorate a room in your house. Every idea springs from your inner world. Your world influences what you do, what you say and how you perceive the world around you. But no one talks about it. They are afraid to share these ideas and perceptions with the rest us because they are scared of what the world may think about them or what people will say. 

I want to change all of that. I want to show people that there is nothing wrong with showing the crazy ideas that go on in your mind. I want to show them how my mind work and that these world are nothing to be ashamed of. They are what makes us unique. As we grow up, we begin to lose the imagination that drove us to be who we are today. It goes away slowly so we do not realize what we are losing. We begin to conform to the ways of the rest of the world. 

Have you ever watched a flock of pidgins fly? We are like a flock of pidgins who move as one. They follow blindly toward the end of their journey because when one pidgin turns the rest follow thinking their is a danger that is being avoided by following the group.Whether it is the right way to go or not we follow because if we don't then something "bad" could happen. We never realize where we are going or what we are missed out on until we come to the end. We realize that life could have been so different if we had simply flown on our own and flew to the ends of the earth. 

Think about it, what did you do today? You got up, brushed your teeth and drove to work or school. You sat at a desk and worked, ate lunch and continued working. When the time comes you get back in your car and drive home. Then you are watching tv or get on the computer (and read my blog ;D) Then you set your alarm clock and go to bed, only to wake up the next morning and do it all over again. 

What is wrong with thinking on your own accord? What is wrong if we break the cookie cutter world that we live in and become our own thinkers, our own decision maker? What if you didn't go to work? What if you just went to the airport and hopped on the next flight to that one place you have always wanted to go. Who cares if you don't have money, there is always a way. You just have to go. But know you have to go to work because what will people think if you broke your day to day existence. 


I refuse to blindly. I refuse to follow and conform to this world. I want to be my own bird and be free to choose where I go and who I become. Maybe if I go on my own away from the flock others will follow and create new paths of their very own. Be like the children who are free to explore and think about the world without rules absolutes. They questions the world around them and in questioning the absolutes they find truth. The world was flat until one man questioned the absolutes the rest of the world blindly followed and realized that our world was much different that what we conformed it to be.

What about you? Will you follow the flock? Will you go back the child like mind you lost so long ago? What will you decide to do with in your world that existed between your ears? And how will you let it inspire your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment