Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Sketching Daily: Self-Portrait

 One of the challenges someone gave me a few weeks ago was to do a self portrait. It has been a long time since I last sat down a did a sketch of myself and it got me thinking of some of the old pictures I drew. Of course like we all do when we run across a binder full of old pictures (or in this case sketches) I spent a good two hours just flipping through them. I was really big into anime when I was younger and it got me thinking of what it would look like if I tried to draw like that now, and besides it is still an "in" style.


So this is what I came up with. It is simple and I added the watercolor touch that I have been playing around with the past few weeks and I have to say I am rather pleased with the simplicity. All of the rats featured in this sketch are the rats I have now and the two that have passed away.

To read more about my rats, check out the blog post they wrote a while back, click here!

On the far left is Kira, who is my oldest living rat. She is the second rat I ever had. She is getting old and likes to spend most of her time sleeping, but she has always been a snuggle bug.

Climbing my pant leg is Hershey, who is one of my newest rats. She is a big goofball and loves to chase my feet.

Marshmallow, another newbie, is on my head like usual. She is a little ball of energy and likes to play.

Patch is sitting on my shoulder and is one of the rats that has passed away. She was sweet but a little slow at times and died of a sudden illness that she couldn't get over.

Shorty is sitting in my lap hiding. She is really shy (due to the fact that she is blind) but while she is a scardy cat when it comes to new things she is tough and is currently my alpha.

Kita is my first rat and she is seen trying to get under my leg. She died from old age one evening and is very missed. She was goofy and adventurous and liked to get into everything.

And last is Phantom who is seen on the far right chewing one a piece of food she found. She is my little scavenger and while she is starting to slow down as she gets older she still will jump across the room when she discovers a little treasure.

Hope you enjoyed this Sketching Daily Challenge. As the semester gets closer it has been harder to keep up with my challenge,  but I will still try to get to everyone's suggestions. So keep them coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment