Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Sketching Daily: Day 8 "Blind Contour"

Today we continue to work on our hand eye coordination with a fun activity, blind contour drawings. One of my Facebook followers suggested that I try drawing without looking at my paper and immediately I thought of a blind contour exercise I love doing.

First you need to find a fun subject, dogs, bicycles, cars, elephants, monkeys, teddy bears, giraffes... Pick something that you like and find a couple of fun images of your subject. Then without looking at your picture try drawing your figure. With every new image you begin try to slow down, look at the details that make your subject unique, and try to capture them. Don't get discouraged if your drawings look ridiculous, that is part of the fun!

Here are some of my images...


If you really want to take this project to the next level, here is another fun project. Draw one subject 5 or 6 times. Then layer each image on top of each other trying to match up the parts and pieces as best you can. Then take a marker and outline the best version of the subject you can. I choose a giraffe because they are such fun subjects for this project. What makes them really fun is you can actually find spots from where some of the lines cross each other. Add some well placed eyes and you have a goofy fun image!



Have an idea that would make a fun Sketching Daily Challenge? Leave your idea in a comment below or go to my facebook page and leave a comment on my page, Teresa's Mind. Thank you to everyone who has given me suggestions. Keep an eye out for your ideas to appear in my Sketching Daily Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment