Thursday, July 18, 2013

Teacher for a Day

I had the fun opportunity to help teach at the Wichita Falls Country Club this week during their kids camp. I had two really fun groups. The boys were probably my favorite, they were between the ages of 8-12 and had so much fun with the projects I set up for them. They 5-7 year olds were chaos, but had such huge imaginations it was hard to contain them. The program seemed to be a huge success and the kids were having fun all day long.

I was able to put some of my sketching exercises to the test with these kids and while the 5-7 year old group had a hard time getting the hang of it the boys really took to it quickly. The first activity we did was the "Scribbly Drawings" I did back on Day 4 of my Sketching Daily Challenge. After coming back from swimming and Zumba, it was good to be able to let out some of their energy on the paper. Almost all of the kids found shapes in their work and a few found pictures as well.

The second project I only did with the boys since the younger kids took longer to get the scribbles down. I had them attempt to draw their hand using the blind contour method I did two days ago in my Sketching Daily. It was interesting to see that the boys who did great at the Scribbly Drawings had a hard time at blind contour, but the ones who couldn't see anything in the scribbles were very patient and precise with their hand drawings. These two activities definitely worked both sides of the brain.

Then I let them lose with a fun activity called One Eyed Monsters. Both groups preformed this activity. They glued an cut outs of eyeballs on their paper and drew a monster that went along with the eye. They were so creative with their monsters and did a really good job with them. Everyone enjoyed this project whether you were good at Scribbles or good at Blind Contour. I think it was a big hit because of the Pixar movie "Monster's University" that just came out a few weeks ago.
 
It was all around a fun day, and I really enjoyed the chaotic nature of the kids. Here are some of the monsters the boys created. They even came up with names and jobs for some of the monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment